Since my 34th birthday earlier this year, I have been reflecting upon what I would like to tell my younger self. The following are just to mention 34 things among SO many.
1. Play. Have fun. Play enough when you are young. You will be well-prepared for the Game of Life to play and master later in life.
2. Try new things. If you do this at a young age, it will help you figure out what your passionate pursuits are when you choose your career.
3. “Don’t make the classroom to be your world but make the world to be your classroom.”
4. Don’t date boys/ girls. Wait until they are men/ women. Wait until you know who you really are. Share your life with the one who knows who he/ she really is, knows how to be in a relationship and actually wants to be in one with true commitment.
5. Learn to prioritize. What is important is to know and act on what is important.
6. Learn to work “smarter,” not “harder.” Not all activity is productivity. Only measured and analyzed activity generates productivity.
7. Learn to set S.M.A.R.T goals to make your dream a reality. Write it down. See it. Believe it. Act on it. You will make it.
8. Make no excuses. You will definitely find a way if your will is strong enough.
9. Know what you want and pursue it with all your heart. Or else you will have to settle for what you don’t want.
10. Write and speak clearly. Sharpen your communication skill which is the key to success in life. Listen actively. Hear what is not said. Analyze. Relate. Make connections.
11. Life passes by as you are figuring it all out. At times, it’s fine to just live with the questions and let the answers come when it is the time. “When we don’t accept uncertainty, it becomes FEAR. When we accept it, it becomes ADVENTURE.”
12. Problems and puzzles in life represent interesting intellectual challenges. Learn to deal with them well.
13. Learn to love well and appreciate the love you deserve. It is a big blessing to love and to be loved.
14. Don’t feel obliged to say yes to things that do not align with your set of principles.
15. Don’t expect anything from anyone. Your life is your own responsibility. Your happiness is your own responsibility. Your “everything” is your own responsibility.
16. Travel to new places and meet new people. Broaden your horizons. Be open to learning opportunities.
17. Learn how to manage your money well and get ahead financially.
18. Read and listen to encouraging things. What goes in is what will come out.
19. Cry. It is okay to cry when your sadness surfaces. It is okay not to be okay. It is perfectly fine not to smile at times.
20. Be you. Just because others make up, you don’t have to make up.
21. Life itself is a constant teacher. Be a teachable learner. You can grow through learning, unlearning and relearning.
22. Develop healthy eating habits and get enough sleep. Feed your heart and soul through reading books. Take good care of both your mental and physical hygiene.
23. Care for those people who are near and dear to you. They won’t be always there.
24. Don’t judge others. They have their circumstances. Instead of wondering, “Why they did so,” consider, “What made them choose to do so.” Feel them in yourself and you will understand them better.
25. Step out of your comfort zone at times. You would be thankful to yourself later in life for having done so.
26. Learn to laugh at times, even at yourself. When life is seriously kidding you, face it with your sense of humor. You will find it is the best armor.
27. When you want something, just ASK. There are a lot of people who feel happy to give you a hand.
28. Don’t just sit and wait. Go out there and grab what you want, especially when you happen to be in a self-service place. The same applies to some other things in life.
29. Sharpen your creative edge. Life rewards people for their imagination although school rewards people for their memory.
30. Dare to break the rules and set new ones. You don’t have to live by the rules set by your predecessors which do not align with you.
31. Learn to handle your emotions in a healthy way. You have the ability to decide if they lead you or if you lead them.
32. Count your blessings. Try to find blessings even in unfavorable things. When you happen to bump into a “bad” thing, remember it could have been “worse.”
33. Develop yourself even through pains. With such experiences, you become more of a person. Let those painful experiences be fertilizer to grow your life to its fullest.
34. Be ready to die at any moment. For you don’t know when you will catch your last breath, be mindful and aware of the breaths you take while you are alive.
Wendy @ Hla Win May Oo
26 March 2018
B.S.I Learning Academy
No. E-2/5, Dhamma Darna Street,
Nat Chaung Ward, Tamwe Township, Yangon.
We provide coaching for IELTS, TOEFL, TKT and other Cambridge Exam Preparation (Starters, Movers, Flyers, KET, PET, FCE, etc.). English for entrepreneurs, Communicative English, English for Academic Purposes and Teacher Trainings are also available.
Thank you, Hus Mon! <3